Saturday, May 9, 2009

Letting my boy grow up :(





It was a beautiful day for a walk and a trip to the park. There is a park about 3 blocks from our house which is nice. It's amazing to me being the mom of such a fragile child, like Ryan, letting go and letting him "grow up" and be independent is a bit scary. Without his wheelchair, Ryan is completely helpless. While lying in bed at night, he isn't even able to lift his arms to his face, turn his head or even roll from side to side. In many ways, because of his disability, I still sometimes view Ryan as a "little boy" and I often times catch myself calling him that. :) But, he's just not anymore! What a strange feeling it was to see my 13 year old boy drive so far ahead of us while on our walk today when I'm so used to him being right by my side. He even asked if he could drive his chair home alone without the rest of us. Knowing he is trying to find his independence, I agreed that he could have a head start. But, that's the best I can do at this point. I realize at some point, he's going to want even more independence and it's something we'll just have to let him try. But, not without an assistant or buddy. If something happened and he fell into a ditch or something, he would be completely helpless until someone came along to help him. In the last picture, Ryan is actually not even in it because he's so far ahead of us! I actually let Joshua get out of his stroller and walk/run for a bit. He sure loved that!

No comments:

Post a Comment