Friday, January 11, 2013

A trip to see family


Next month, Steve and I will be traveling with my grandparents (both pictured below) to visit family in Chicago, my aunt and uncle (also pictured below) as well as my cousins. My aunt suffers from Alzheimers disease; early onset and has had it for close to 10 years already. She isn't even 60 years old yet. So, symptoms began in her 40's. So hard to believe. But, it's true. At this point, my uncle cares for her full time. She can barely put a sentence together and no longer uses a toilet. Being around her is similar to being around a 1 1/2 year old child. I have known elderly people with the same disease and even they can still form a sentence. I often wonder if the early onset form of the disease is worse than the form that the elderly get. Either way, it's a very sad disease and we all grieve the loss. She really is already gone. Although her body still works....for the most part. I wanted to ask for prayers for a safe trip for my grandparents and us and also that we would all stay healthy so that we can enjoy this trip away. It is VERY rare for Steve and I to plan a trip away during this time of year. Just too risky to plan something during the months that Ryan could get sick. So, we are hoping and praying he stays well so we can make this trip! 


No comments:

Post a Comment