Saturday, December 17, 2011

The trials of SMA



From the time Ryan was diagnosed with this disease at just 11 months old; we knew the road ahead would be filled with challenges. At the time, I couldn't even imagine looking that far ahead into the future. It was all I could do just to get through each day after that diagnosis. Here we are now 14 years later and each time we hear of a new burden our son has to bear, it never gets any easier. Currently, Ryan is dealing with pain in his hips. To understand just what this is like for us and for Ryan, I will walk you through a typical morning in our home. Usually Steve is the one that gets Ryan up each morning. This is because I can no longer shower Ryan who now weighs nearly 90 pounds. (Something that we hope to remedy soon with our new roll-in shower!) Anyway, Steve gets Ryan up and showers and dresses him. Ryan lays on his bed while we dress him and just the act of pulling up his jeans causes him pain. Pulling up a 90 pound person's jeans while they are laying flat on their back and unable to help in any way to even lift their bottom up is next to impossible anyway. But, add on to that the pain he is experiencing, it's really difficult to say the least! We don't ever want to hurt Ryan, but he has to get dressed. Putting on his socks and shoes also causes him a fair amount of pain. His feet are so contracted from the disease that they are now turned inward. This makes putting socks and shoes on him very difficult. It also causes Ryan quite a bit of pain if we turn his foot even 1/2 an inch in the wrong direction. Steve then lifts Ryan into his chair and leaves for work. It is then up to me to fix Ryan breakfast, brush his teeth, wash his face, put a jacket on him and get all of his school supplies together including his suction machine. During this time, I am also making lunches and getting Jorie (sometimes Josh) out the door to school as well. Needless to say, mornings around here can be difficult. And challenging enough without the pain Ryan is now experiencing. Yesterday, we took Ryan in to have his hips Xrayed. The results showed what we already knew. Both hips are dislocated (and have been since the age of 3). But, somehow during the past couple of weeks, one of us probably moved his leg in the wrong way or too fast and it is now causing him pain. The doctor offered to have Ryan take Aleve as needed and for all of us to be extremely careful when caring for him. I can't imagine being any more careful than we are already! But, we will try. As Ryan has gotten older things have changed. His strength has gotten weaker and we are doing more for him than we used to. We try our best to take things one day at a time and count our blessings. Some days that is easier said than done. I have always felt that dealing with this disease is so much more difficult when it causes Ryan sadness or pain. But, the fact that he can still joke around and be mostly happy means the world to me. He is an amazing boy and he has taught us all a lot. I hope and pray we have many more years with our son. But, I also know that when the Lord calls Ryan home to be with Him, I will rejoice that my son has no more pain and a working body. Even though the pain of his loss will be more than anyone should ever have to bear.

7 comments:

  1. This post broke my heart. Your family, and especially Ryan, have to endure so much! It's not fair. It is amazing how much we take for granted. I am thankful your family is so strong and loving. I re-watched Ryan's montage tonight. It made me cry as it did the first time I watched it. I love the clips of him and his siblings. I said some extra prayers for Ryan tonight too. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, I will keep Ryan in my prayers that his pain will go away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your prayers. Much appreciated! It really is amazing how much we take for granted. Something I never realized until we had Ryan. Just the act of scratching an itch is impossible for Ryan. He loves it when I scratch them for him! But, I always wonder about the times noone is available to do that. Wouldn't that be so frustrating? He's such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lora- Your Mom told me this morning that you are all sick, and we will be praying that Ryan makes it through relatively easy. Thanks for this post, and for letting people know what you as a family and Ryan go through daily. It does show us healthy people how much we do take for granted. We will pray for his hip pain. Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jennie. Jorie and I are mostly better. But, Steve and Ryan have it now. Josh has been spared so far! We are thankful it seems to be a fairly minor cold as far as colds go. It could be much worse for Ryan and so far it's staying out of his lungs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lora you are such a wonderful and brave momma. It is so heartbreaking that this world is full of pain and sickness. My heart breaks for you and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Tatiana! I have really enjoyed reading your blog. ;0)

    ReplyDelete