
I can't remember the last time I was so scared for Ryan. There have been many, but, this was among the worst of them. There have been many times over the years that he has been near death and God has healed him and pulled him through. Last night was one of those times where we were again in uncharted territory and dealing with something we had never dealt with (quite like this) before with Ryan. Anytime that happens, it is extremely scary. Over the years we have had to teach ourselves how to care for Ryan. The doctors don't know much if anything about Ryan's disease, SMA. And when he gets really sick like this, it only complicates matters. We need to know what's going on so that we can give an accurate report to his doctors when we get to the hospital or doc's office. Last night, we weren't prepared for what happened. We took him into the ER after being out of town for the weekend. He got sick when we were away and we figured we could make it home in time to properly care for him etc.. He was miserable for the drive home (7 hours in the car)...poor guy. And when we finally arrived home, we realized he really needed to be seen. Of course the only place at that hour is the dreaded ER. So, we packed up our things and took him in. That was a nightmare! The ER doctor on call last night was pretty rude to us and would not listen to us. We tried to explain what we know about Ryan and he didn't seem to like that we were telling him what we wanted and didn't want in regards to Ryan's care. I think he finally realized that we know what we are talking about and started to listen to us towards the end of our stay. They could not get an IV started no matter how hard they tried. We knew this would be the case as it has been SO many times over the years. At that point, they wanted to give him fluids via his Gtube. However, the doctor wanted to push those into him at 400 cc's/hour despite our asking them to turn it down!!! Our poor guy can hardly tolerate 15-30 cc's an hour when his tummy is acting up like this. Of course, he vomitted right away. They finally released us when they didn't think there was anything else they could do for us. Meanwhile, Ryan had started acting really strange. Nothing we had ever seen him do before. He was delirious and he kept thinking he could hear the doctors say they were going to do surgery on him. He kept saying really wierd things that just made NO sense at all. Then he started babbling (almost like a baby) and was acting really hyper; even singing and humming to himself at 2 in the morning...also not making any sense at all. He couldn't even drive his chair out of the hospital! I was so worried for him. I have never seen him quite like this before. I do believe he is dealing with severe dehydration, exhaustion and probably low blood sugar issues as well. But, Ryan has never dealt with these type of of things before to this magnitude. So, it was really scary for us. Currently, he has settled down a bit, is resting (finally!) and is keeping fluids down. We are also giving him small amounts of orange juice and pedialyte and he seems to finally be doing a bit better. I do not believe he is out of the woods yet and appreiciate prayers!! I am sure this does not make much sense either as I am now going on almost no sleep and am now up with my other two who need their momma. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. This little boy is such a trooper and the bravest kid I know.
We will be thinking about Ryan and hoping he starts to feel better soon! I understand how scary this must be for you guys and we are sending you big hugs.
ReplyDelete