Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Aunt Karen

Our family took a great loss last week. We lost my mom's baby sister, Aunt Karen. She was a young 59 years old and had been battling Alzheimer's disease since her early 40's. Hard to imagine Alzheimers affecting someone so young. It's an ugly disease. We have spent the last 10 years slowly seeing her decline. Eventually, she lost the ability to walk and talk and in the last two weeks; she could no longer eat. I never knew how cruel of a disease this was until it happened in our family. I thought it was a disease that elderly people got. I never realized the magnitude of the effects it had on someone until it happened to my aunt. We are heart broken at the loss of my aunt. But we know she is in heaven with our Lord. She is free from pain and disease and she is happy. We will always miss her. But we have been missing her (the real her) for years now. I have so many people I can't wait to see again in heaven! 

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that your family will miss Karen, and especially her family. But I am also so happy for her that she is no longer battling this awful t thing. Thanks for sharing the great photos, I remember when your Mom looked just like the top one : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words, Lora, for a beautiful aunt. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete