Friday, December 27, 2013

Hard month

This has been a hard month. Plain and simple. I am actually looking forward to January this year. 

Ryan is home and is starting to make a physical recovery. But I'm afraid emotionally he's not doing so well. I have never seen him this down. In all his 17 years he has never been quite this sad. It makes me so sad to see him this way. With everything he has had to live without or lose over the years. This has got to be one of the hardest to bear. Because of how sick he got we had to make some MAJOR changes in his diet. Kids with SMA follow a very strict diet. They are basically vegetarians. In addition; dairy products are also a no no. Of course two of Ryan's favorite foods happen to be meat and cheese! We knew about this diet before. But we thought Ryan perhaps didn't need to follow it as closely as some kids do. We were wrong! With 2 hospitalizations in 3 weeks time I think it was enough to wake us up. Why is he now affected so much by what he eats? We aren't sure. Maybe he always was and we just didn't recognize it? Maybe his body is changing and his needs are changing? 

I am praying that he is able to see that the end result will be worth giving up the foods that he loves. Right now he's just discouraged. :-( 

No comments:

Post a Comment