I will never forget the day Ryan was born. I can still remember getting up from bed that morning and feeling my water break! Soon after that we headed to the hospital. After about 12 hours or so of labor, Ryan Andrew came into the world. He was 6 lbs and 13 ounces and so beautiful!! At the time, none of us, including doctors, knew that Ryan was affected by SMA. He was perfect in every way! He took to breastfeeding immediately and rarely fussed. He was always happy, always cheerful and was rarely sick! Being the first baby and first grandbaby, he was held ALOT! I can still remember wanting to hold him constantly! I knew that if I did not enjoy this time with him, it would be gone and I would never get that time back! I am so glad I enjoyed that time with him. I can even remember running errands and wanting to take him with me; despite others offering to watch him!
Ryan was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) at 11 months old. A degenerative muscle disease causing weakness throughout his body; including the muscles used to cough and breathe. He has never stood, walked or even crawled. But, he has continued on with the most amazing attitude. He is content with what he has and rarely focuses on what he cannot do. There are times, though they are few, that he will cry and tell us how he wishes he could do things for himself. Those are the times that it gets really rough. We don't always have the words to say to comfort him and sometimes all we can do is hold him and tell him we love him.
Ryan has many wonderful characteristics. One of which is his sense of humor. We all love laughing with Ryan. SMA might take away many abilities. But, not his ability to laugh and tell jokes. :) He is an amazing student and works hard, despite his physical struggles. He talked at a very young age. We beleive this was partially due to his physical disabilites. He was able to focus all of his energy on talking! We often joke about how he used to wake us up each morning by singing praise songs from his bed. This would let us know he was ready to get up!!
When shopping for his birthday recently, I realize again just how grown up he is now! :( It makes me sad that he is growing up so fast. But, also incredibley proud and happy that he has made it this far. Doctors told us he wouldn't make it past the age of 3. So, we have been blessed with 12 years past those predictions!! And we are grateful for each and every one of them with our boy! Happy Birthday Ryan! We love you!!








Happy Birthday to your handsome young man!!
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful to see them grow and mature..but we miss the little ones that they were:)
Very nice picture of the two of you together.
Sheri
Happy birthday Ryan! You are amazing!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the birthday wishes!! Ryan had a great day!!!!
ReplyDelete